Do you have difficulty in rising from a seated position?
Do you feel persistent pain even after pain medication?
If these symptoms are troubling you, then you should consider hip replacement surgery.
Being a safe and effective procedure, hip replacement in Bhubaneswar is one of the most common joint replacement surgeries. It increases your motion, relieves pain, and helps you enjoy everyday activities.
Talking about hip replacement, few surgeons are as proficient and skilful as Dr. Sandeep Singh, one of the best orthopedic doctor in Bhubaneswar. He has performed hundreds of joint replacement surgeries with absolute precision and exceptional results.
On this page, we have covered all the basic information about hip replacement surgery.
Let’s begin with what is Hip Replacement Surgery?
Hip replacement is a procedure that replaces a damaged or worn-out hip joint with an artificial joint called a prosthesis. Dr. Sandeep Singh, Hip replacement doctor in Bhubaneswar may recommend this surgery for severe pain caused by arthritis or after a hip fracture.
When is hip replacement surgery done?
The surgery may be necessary if you are suffering from the following conditions:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Traumatic arthritis
Apart from this, you may have to consider undergoing this procedure if your hip pain:
- Worsens while walking
- Hampers your activities like climbing up and down the stairs
- Medicines do not ease the pain
- Pain persists even while you are resting
- It makes it hard for you to get dressed or get up from a sitting position
Before recommending hip replacement surgery, Dr. Sandeep Singh, the best orthopedist in Bhubaneswar will examine your hip and check the range of motion of your joint and the strength of the surrounding muscles.
Procedure for hip replacement
- Before your hip replacement surgery in Bhubaneswar, you will be given either general anaesthesia or a spinal block injection that numbs the lower half of your body.
- Then Dr. Sandeep Singh, the best ortho doctor in Bhubaneswar, will make an incision either over the front or side of your hip and remove the damaged and diseased bone and cartilage.
- After that, to replace the damaged socket, he will implant a prosthetic socket into your pelvic bone.
- He will then replace the round ball on your femur with a prosthetic one attached to a stem that fits into your thighbone.
- Hip replacement in Bhubaneswar is performed by open surgery or minimally invasive surgery.
- Dr. Sandeep Singh is well-versed in both methods. He is an expert in using advanced surgical techniques such as keyhole surgery and robotics.
After the procedure
After your hip replacement, you will have to stay in the hospital for 4-6 days. As there is an increased risk of blood clots in your legs, you will be given blood thinners and asked to wear elastic compression stockings.
Your physical therapy will mostly begin on the same day or a day after your surgery, and within a few days, you will start walking with the help of a walker or cane. However, you will have to continue with your physical therapy for months after your surgery.
What are the risks of hip replacement surgery?
The risks for hip replacement surgery include:
- Blood clots
- Change in leg length
- Loosening of implants
- Nerve damage
When to contact your doctor
You should contact your doctor immediately if:
Your hip replacement surgery’s success depends on how well you follow the orthopedic surgeon’s instructions at home.
You will have to visit your surgeon for follow-ups to make sure your hip is healing properly. You can resume some of your daily activities 6-12 weeks after the surgery if the recovery progresses well.
What activities to avoid after hip replacement surgery?
To prevent the new joint from dislocating and ensure proper healing, Dr. Sandeep Singh, the best ortho doctor in Bhubaneswar, will ask you to follow certain instructions such as:
- Do not cross your legs
- Do not lean forward while sitting
- Do not bring your knee higher than your hip
- Do not bend more than 90 degrees at your waist
- Do not bend to pick up things from the floor
- Do not twist your legs